I’ve recently discovered “Book Tube” – a community of folks who love reading and are on YouTube making videos about their books. I saw a thing they called “The Book Tag” and thought I’d randomly answer some of the same questions that were going around BookTube last summer. So, here goes!
- Do you have a certain place at home for reading? Not really. I enjoy reading in bed at night and in the summer, I love to sit out on our back deck with a book. I also love reading when we are on RV trips, and will even curl up on our couch and read during the daytime.
- Bookmark? Or a random piece of paper? Definitely bookmark. I collect bookmarks whenever we go to a National Park. I like to stamp the back with the rubber stamp date thing that they have in all the visitor centers – to remember the day we were there. I also have bookmarks from fun trips and still use the ones I picked up on our wonderful trip to Australia, years ago. My most recent National Park bookmark is from Volcanoes on the big island of Hawaii.
- Can you just stop reading or do you need to read a certain number of pages or quit at the end of a chapter? I like to stop reading at the end of a chapter, but I rarely give myself a certain number of pages to read….although, thinking of it, sometimes when I’ve borrowed a library book and therefore have a deadline to return it, I do sometimes divide up the pages with the number of days I have left. Usually, I just stop whenever I want to or need to.
- Do you eat or drink while reading? I don’t usually eat while reading, but will often pair a hot mug of tea in the winter or an icy glass of tea in the summer with my book.
- Music or TV while reading? Preferably, no. I love to read in silence. BUT… I do live with a certain someone who has been known to watch soccer for hours on end, and I can tune it out pretty well these days if I’m into a good book.
- One book at a time, or several at once? Often, I’ll have two, sometimes three books going at the same time. One physical book, one e-book, and once in a while, an audio book also.
- Do you prefer E-readers or physical books? I like them both, but honestly, I prefer a physical book. I also love audio books, but only if the narrator/reader is good at what they do. I’ve listened to horrible narrators, and wonderful narrators, and the difference is monstrous. One reason I prefer a “real” book is because it’s nearly impossible to share an ebook with another person. When I find a gem of a book, I love to pass it around.
- Do you read ahead or skip pages? No. That would spoil things! I have been known to skip over a paragraph or two for various reasons, but not pages.
- Do you break the spine of a book, or try to keep it like new? Just depends on the book. If I feel like I have to keep “prying” it open to read it, I’ll break the spine. Of course this is not an issue with hardbacks.
- Once you start a book, do you force yourself to finish it? Oh my goodness, NO! If I can’t get into a book after about 50-60 pages, I will call it quits. Too many good books, too little time!
So there you have it, my answers to “the Book Tag”. I am just about done with my first book of 2018 – one I’d never even heard of before watching some of the BookTube/YouTube videos. Be watching for my review to appear soon under the tab “Books 2018”. Time for me to go finish book #1 for the year! 🙂